Top 10 Gandalf Quotes That You Shall Not Pass up
One of the things J. R. R. Tolkien doesn’t get enough credit for is how he worked with his characters’ voices. Each one is so well-crafted and is easily differentiated from other characters. But more than that, he was able to adopt the characteristics of his characters when writing for them. When he was writing Aragorn, he was a little more gruff. For Bilbo, he was playful.
Gandalf, obviously, is a wise old wizard. And Tolkien does a wonderful job of saving his most savory wisdom for Gandalf. Prepare to learn from an actual Istar (wizard). Maybe one day you will also be a wizard.
1. I will not say: do not weep for not all tears are an evil.
2. It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
3. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
4. I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
5. He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.
6. Fly, you fools.
7. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
8.“Where did you go to, if I may ask?” said Thorin to Gandalf as they rode along.
“To look ahead,” said he.
“And what brought you back in the nick of time?”
“Looking behind,” said he.
9. Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
10. It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.
Feature Image Via New Line Cinema