I know everyone and their mother loves a good F. Scott Fitzgerald work, but have we all forgotten about his notable significant other, the powerhouse that was Zelda Fitzgerald. Her spunk, fiery personality, and artistic style made for an explosive pairing with Scott. A painter, novelist, and dancer was only the surface of what made up this beautiful socialite whose own demons played against her.
Just as the classic saying goes, behind every great man is an even greater woman. Here are ten quotes from the mystical Zelda.
1. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.”
2. “I love you, even if there isn’t any me, or any love, or even any life. I love you.”
3. “I don’t suppose I really know you very well – but I know you smell like the delicious damp grass that grows near old walls and that your hands are beautiful opening out of your sleeves and that the back of your head is a mossy sheltered cave when there is trouble in the wind and that my cheek just fits the depression in your shoulder.”
4, “She quietly expected great things to happen to her, and no doubt that’s one of the reasons why they did.”
5 “All I want to be is very young always and very irresponsible and to feel that my life is my own-to live and be happy and die in my own way to please myself.”
6. “I wish we could spend July by the sea, browning ourselves and feeling water-weighted hair flow behind us from a dive. I wish our gravest concerns were the summer gnats. I wish we were hungry for hot dogs and dopes, and it would be nice to smell the starch of summer linens and the faint odor of talc in blistering summer bath houses … We could lie in long citoneuse beams of the five o’clock sun on the plage at Juan-les-Pins and hear the sound of the drum and piano being scooped out to sea by the waves.”
7. “We grew up founding our dreams on the infinite promise of American advertising. I still believe that one can learn to play the piano by mail and that mud will give you a perfect complexion.”
8. “I am really only myself when I’m somebody else whom I have endowed with these wonderful qualities from my imagination.”
9. “She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn’t boring.”
10. “My dear, I think of you always and at night I build myself a warm nest of things I remember and float in your sweetness till morning.”
11. “And only weaklings…who lack courage and the power to feel they’re right when the whole world says they’re wrong, ever lose.”
Amazon has announced a new round of shows for its fall pilot season, and one of them is of particular interest to readers. Z is a new, biography/drama series that will follow the life of Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald and her famously turbulent relationship with F. Scott Fitzgerald.
The new series will star Christina Ricci (Monster) as Zelda and Gavin Stenhouse (Allegiance) as F. Scott Fitzgerald. The show begins before Zelda meets Fitzgerald, and plans to cover their entire relationship. Z is written by Dan Prestwich and Nicole Yorkin (who both worked on The Killing), and Tim Blake Nelson (Anesthesia) will direct.
The Z pilot will air for free on Amazon’s website, and viewers will be allowed to rate it to help Amazon determine whether or not to proceed with a full series. Z is one of six pilots announced this week. The other selections include new shows from comedians Sacha Baron Cohen and Louis CK.
Amazon is enjoying a pretty good week in terms of its original series, winning five Emmys for their groundbreaking show Transparent.