Alice Walker, the critically acclaimed author of The Color Purple, is certainly an inspiring presence in the literary world. Her moving stories speak to the fragility of the human experience and her colorful writing encourages us to find the beauty in every moment.
This Black History Month, we celebrate the men and women who have greatly shaped history by providing indispensable contributions to countless dimensions of society; Alice Walker’s literary talents and accomplishments are nothing less than extraordinary. Here are seven of her poignant quotes that will inspire you this Wednesday.
image via the new yorker
- “No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.”
2. “I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart.” – Revolutionary Petunias
3. “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it. People think pleasing God is all God care about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.” – The Color Purple
4. “The more I wonder, the more I love.” – The Color Purple
5. “Part of what existence means to me is knowing the difference between what I am now and what I was then.” – In Search of Our Mothers Gardens
6. “Keep in mind always the present you are constructing. It should be the future you want.” – The Temple of My Familiar
7. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.”
8. “I believe in movements, collective action to influence the future.” – You Can’t Keep a Good Woman Down
9. “Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise.” – Revolutionary Petunias
Featured image via imgur
Bookstr is community supported. If you enjoy Bookstr’s articles, quizzes, graphics and videos, please join our Patreon to support our writers and creators or donate to our Paypal and help Bookstr to keep supporting the book loving community.
Become a Patron!