It is Samuel Beckett’s 112th birthday today. A fun fact about Beckett, writer of Waiting for Godot, among many, many other beloved plays, novellas and poetry collections, is that, in 1958, he used to drive André the Giant to school “when twelve-year-old André’s acromegaly prevented him from taking the school bus.” They were neighbors where they lived in Moulien, France. According to Open Culture, “André recalled that they mostly talked about cricket.”
Beckett, who was born in the Foxrock area of Dublin, Ireland in 1906, lived in France for most of his life, writing in both English and French. He was, as the wonderful Patti Smith pointed out in her Instagram post this morning, “the great literary love of Sam Sheperd. Sam would recite whole passages of Beckett’s work by heart.” Smith goes on to say, “We often quoted his line “i can’t go on, I’ll go on.” It made us laugh. So today I am thinking of two wonderful Sam’s. They both challenged and brightened our world.“
Today is Friday the 13th. Traditionally unlucky but a good day today. It is Samuel Beckett’s birthday. Beckett, the great playwright, was the great literary love of Sam Sheperd. Sam would recite whole passages of Beckett’s work by heart. We often quoted his line “i can’t go on, I’ll go on.” It made us laugh. So today I am thinking of two wonderful Sam’s. They both challenged and brightened our world.
So in honor of the wonderful Samuel Beckett, here are ten quotes to help you go on…
1. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
2. We are all born mad. Some remain so.
3. Nothing is funnier than unhappiness, I grant you that. Yes, yes, it’s the most comical thing in the world.
4. Where I am, I don’t know, I’ll never know, in the silence you don’t know, you must go on, I can’t go on, I’ll go on.You’re on earth. There’s no cure for that.
5. Dance first. Think later. It’s the natural order.If you do not love me I shall not be loved If I do not love you I shall not love.
6. Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
7. Habit is a great deadener.
8. Words are all we have.
9. To find a form that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now.
10. I can’t go on. I’ll go on.
Featured Image Via CEOHangout