Preliminary sketches for 'The Little Prince' were just uncovered in the estate of a late Swiss real-estate developer.
I’ll admit it. It’s a cardinal sin, but, alas, I have never sat down and read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s masterpiece The Little Prince. It didn’t matter how many French or English majors with Little Prince tattoos on their shoulders drunkenly explained to me how deep and meaningful the story was, I just never got around to reading it. Or maybe that’s why…
Anyway, I was reading a few quotes from it recently and they full on made me weep. These lines are so beautiful, I should have listened to you, crying girl with slightly crap tattoo at that party that time. You were right. This one’s for you.
1. And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
2. What makes the desert beautiful,’ said the little prince, ‘is that somewhere it hides a well…
3. The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they are felt with the heart.
4. All grown-ups were once children… but only few of them remember it.
5. You—you alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night…You—only you—will have stars that can laugh.
6. It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.
7. Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
8. Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.
9. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
10. A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
Featured Image Via Variety