Roald Dahl (not-so-affectionately called Roald the Rotten by his first wife), might have been a difficult man, but he was a gracious writer. His children’s stories are filled with hope and have given us innumerable unforgettable characters, such as Willy Wonka, Matilda, and James (the one with the giant peach).
Above all, he gave generations of children a sense of wonder and generosity. It’s that for which we remember the allegedly “rotten” man. Here are ten Roald Dahl quotes to fill your heart with a magic that will never die.
1. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.
2. And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.
3. If I were a headmaster I would get rid of the history teacher and get a chocolate teacher instead.
4. Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog.
5. It’s impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren’t feeling twinkly yourself.
6. Grown ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets.
7. So please, oh please, we beg, we pray
Go throw your TV set away
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall…
8. I understand what you’re saying, and your comments are valuable, but I’m gonna ignore your advice.
9. A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.
10. A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
Feature Image Via Parade