Abraham “Bram” Stoker was born on November 8th, 1847 and published his world renowned vampire novel, Dracula, at the age of fifty in 1897. As today is the anniversary of this prolific author’s birth, we are celebrating with a list of the thirteen best quotes from his most famous gothic novel.
1. “I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul.”
2. “There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.”
3. “We learn from failure, not from success!”
4. “Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!”
5. “I sometimes think that we must all be mad and that we shall wake to sanity in strait-waistcoats.”
6. “I want you to believe… to believe in things that you cannot.”
7. “Do you believe in destiny? That even the powers of time can be altered for a single purpose? That the luckiest man who walks on this earth is the one who finds… true love?”
8. “No one but a woman can help a man when he is in trouble of the heart.”
9. “No man knows till he experiences it, what it is like to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the woman he loves.”
10. “Loneliness will sit over our roofs with brooding wings.”
11. “I have crossed oceans of time to find you.”
12. “Do you not think that there are things which you cannot understand, and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot?”
13. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
feature image via pinterest
all in-text images via pinterest