Today is August 16, 2021, what would’ve been German-American author Charles Bukowski’s hundred and first birthday. To celebrate this famous underground writer, whose direct prose and simple, sometimes violent poetry paint the debauchery of urban life and the reality of American society, let’s have a look at some of Bukowski’s most heartfelt quotes!
- I will remember the kisses, our lips raw with love, and how you gave me everything you had, and how I offered you what was left of me.
- Find what you love and let it kill you.
- I wanted the whole world or nothing.
- A love like that was a serious illness, an illness from which you never entirely recover.
- Poetry is what happens when nothing else.
- I remember awakening one morning and finding everything smeared with the color of forgotten love.
- She’s mad, but she’s magic. There’s no lie in her fire.
- If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.