In case you missed it, popular children’s cartoon series Arthur‘s latest season kicked off this week with an unexpected but not unwanted twist: Mr. Ratburn, a third-grade teacher and rat, marries a man — er, a male aardvark, that is. Arthur and his classmates celebrate as the rat and his betrothed, the aforementioned aardvark named Patrick, walk down the aisle hand-in-hand. Since the news has left audiences reeling — mostly because they are surprised the show is still running — we’ve compiled some of the best Twitter reactions to Mr. Ratburn’s coming out party.
1. Mr. Ratburn is #CoupleGoals because he doesn’t spam your feed
2. A hypothesis for writers and beta readers to explore in coming episodes:
3. What we’ve all been thinking:
4. The Onion uncovers a plot twist to blow your mind
5. Quick throwback to the classic theme.
6. This linguistic hack:
7. Interspecies couples deserve fan art too.