Today, August 6th, would’ve been the 110th birthday of American actress, model, comedian, and producer Lucille Ball. Her contagious laugh, outrageous antics, and flaming red hair helped cement her place in pop culture and television history with the 1950s sitcom I Love Lucy. She also starred in various other films and television shows, including The Lucy Show and Here’s Lucy.
To celebrate Lucille Ball on this special birthday, here are fifteen of her most memorable quotes to help you reflect on, laugh about, and appreciate life!
1. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
2. “I’m not funny. What I am is brave.”
3. “Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous red head.”
4. “It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.”
5. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
6. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
7. “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”
8. “In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by.”
9. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
10. “How I Love Lucy was born? We decided that instead of divorce lawyers profiting from our mistakes, we’d profit from them.”
11. “One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
12. “Ability is of little account without opportunity.”
13. “I’m happy that I have brought laughter because I have been shown by many the value of it in so many lives, in so many ways.”
14. “I’m not sure that I want to be without some lack of confidence. If you are too sure of yourself, you don’t grow. You may feel confident in some things, but other fields come up as a challenge. And if you don’t anticipate trouble, you will be in trouble.”
15. “I cured myself of shyness when it finally occurred to me that people didn’t think about me half as much as I gave them credit for. The truth was, nobody gave a damn. Like most teenagers, I was far too self-centered. When I stopped being prisoner to what I worried was others’ opinions of me, I became more confident and free.”
Let us know your favorite Lucille Ball quote below!