On February 3rd, 1979, Ransom Riggs was born into our very peculiar world. He cried in his cradle and his parents knew he would become something great. They just had no idea that he would write a book series adored by countless young adults worldwide.
Since its debut in 2011, the New York Times Best Selling Series Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children has captivated audiences with its odd characters possessing uncanny abilities and the vintage photographs scattered across the books’ pages. The series is haunting, beautifully written, and the quotes that come from the narrator Jacob Portman’s mouth will make you gasp in awe.
In celebration of Ransom Riggs’ forty-second birthday, here are some of the best quotes from Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Hopefully, they will inspire you to embrace your peculiar nature and remind you that you are extraordinary, not ordinary.
1)“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”
2) “We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high.”
3) “When someone won’t let you in, eventually you stop knocking.”
4) “I had always known the sky was full of mysteries—but not until now had I realized how full of them the earth was.”
5) “I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.”
6) “Sometimes it’s better not to look back.”
7) “What an unchallenging life it would be if we always got things right on the first go.”
8) “Sometimes you just need to go through a door.”
9) “We were like astronauts floating through a starless universe.”
10) “If all the suns but ours collapsed tonight, how many lifetimes would it take us to realize that we were alone?”
11) “I realized that leaving wouldn’t be like I had imagined, like casting off a weight. Their memory was something tangible and heavy, and I would carry it with me.”
12) “The easiest kind of lying is when you leave things out of a story rather than make them up.”
13) “If you must fail, fail spectacularly.”
FEATURED IMAGE VIA SLATE