We’re all trying to beat our reading record from last year, and the best way to do that is to adopt some good reading habits. Maybe you invest in a nice reading lamp. Maybe you just bumped up your supply of bookmarks. Maybe you’ve decided that if you don’t like a book it’s okay to stop reading it. All good habits.
It’s also probably worth thinking about bad things to do when reading. Sometimes you do the bad thing and so it can be prevented, but sometimes the bad things happens to you. At times like those, all I can do is give you some warning. Here are fifteen ways your reading experience may be ruined.
1. Eating food that gets on your fingers…and then pages.
2. Home invasion.
3. Your friend starts messaging you about this new underground electronica artist you need to listen to…right now, Chris.
4. Someone gave the dog too much people food and she needs to go for a walk right now.
5. One of the book’s speakers is really good, the other is not. This chapter is from the not-good one’s perspective.
6. Sitting under the wrong kind of light and it hurts your eyeballs after too long.
7. The author did something horrendous in real life.
8. You have to pee, but are in a subway/car/closed environment and cannot pee.
9. You’re falling asleep, but are promising yourself you’re not, and you just dozed off through five pages.
10. You accidentally open up to the last chapter and start reading it and can’t stop.
11. You have to leave in ten minutes, and you have six pages left in the chapter and you might not be able to finish the chapter in time so you’re rushing.
12. There’s a baby nearby.
13. Being drunk.
14. You are reading laying down and you shouldn’t be reading like that because, guess what, now you’re sleeping.
15. Sometimes the book is just bad.
Feature Image Via SD McPhail