If 2017 is any indication, 2018 should be a good year for bookworms. This year brought us Celeste Ng’s Little Fires Everywhere, George Saunders’ debut novel Lincoln in the Bardo, and freaking Tom Hanks’ first book. It’s also been a great year for adaptations between, obviously, Stephen King’s It and the celebrated Call Me By Your Name. Also Big Little Lies. And Game of Thrones. Again.
But what will 2018 hold? What goodies are in store for the bookish among us? While some may crave the next season of This Is Us or are counting the days until Avengers: Infinity War, what do bookworms have to look forward to in 2018? I don’t know. Really. No idea. But I’ll take a few guesses.
1. George R. R. Martin will win the Nobel Prize after finally releasing The Winds of Winter.
2. Roxane Gay is elected President of the United States.
3. A Wrinkle in Time is the best movie of the year but everybody forgets about it by awards season.
4. Marvel stops publishing comics, restructures so writers now just respond to Robert Downey Jr.’s fan mail.
5. That indie bookstore you like? That’s Amazon’s now.
6. J. K. Rowling stops using Twitter, finally moves to Google Plus.
7. First song from Lin-Manuel Miranda’s fantasy epic The Kingkiller Chronicle adaptation released. It’s a rap song. Hits Top 40.
8. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald fires Johnny Depp a month before release, casts Christopher Plummer as young Grindelwald.
9. Last season of Game of Thrones reveals nobody dies. Everybody lives happily ever after, including zombie Viserion and, yes, even Cersei.
10. Stephen King leaves his wife, proposes to J. K. Rowling, is rejected. Still happy because It: Chapter 2.
11. No writers die. At all.
Feature Image Via Youtube