Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a rightful classic, and the series it inspired continues to attract new audiences. He was a funny, clever man and his perspective on life, the universe, and everything is hilariously bleak.
Adams provided the world with many witticisms, which you can find on various Tumblr pages and referenced in reddit comment threads. Think of this as a study guide. Memorize these funny lines and whip them out at the next party you attend. Who needs good conversation when you can robotically parrot pop culture?
1. Let’s think the unthinkable, let’s do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
2. Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
3. The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.
4. “The Guide says there is an art to flying”, said Ford, “or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
5. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
6. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
7. A learning experience is one of those things that says, “You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.”
8. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
9. He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
10. Don’t panic.
11. The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Image Via Amazon
Feature Image Via Hitchhiker’s Wikia