Emily Brontë’s classic novel Wuthering Heights has to be one of the most dramatic texts on this planet. The characters’ erratic behavior and outrageous declarations are unmatched in terms of high drama, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. Here are ten of the most genuinely crazy quotes from the beloved, creepy, obsessive little weirdos of Brontë’s mad masterpiece.
Image Via Hark! A Vagrant
1. “He shall never know I love him: and that, not because he’s handsome, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same.”
2. “If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.”
3. “If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn’t love as much in eighty years as I could in a day.”
4. “If you ever looked at me once with what I know is in you, I would be your slave.”
5. “My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I’m well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Healthcliff! He’s always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.”
6. “You know that I could as soon forget you as my existence!”
7. “I have to remind myself to breathe — almost to remind my heart to beat!”
8. “It is hard to forgive, and to look at those eyes, and feel those wasted hands,’ he answered. ‘Kiss me again; and don’t let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer—but yours! How can I?”
9. “Heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy.”
10. “And I pray one prayer–I repeat it till my tongue stiffens–Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you–haunt me, then!…Be with me always–take any form–drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!”
Featured Image Via Hark! A Vagrant!