Love got you down? Tinder becoming a chore? Are your matches becoming a source of anxiety rather than a beacon of hope? Don’t worry, your stress has been felt before and by some very smart people.
Here are ten of the warmest, most optimistic quotes from writers we love about love.
1. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” – Roald Dahl
2. “Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star.” – e. e. cummings
3. “Who, being loved, is poor?” – Oscar Wilde
4. “To get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.” – Mark Twain
5. “Love consists of this: two solitudes that meet, protect and greet each other.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
6. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.” – Jodi Picoult
7. “You don’t find love, it finds you. It’s got a little bit to do with destiny, fate, and what’s written in the stars.” – Anais Nin
8. “Love is the emblem of eternity; it confounds all notion of time; effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.” – Madame De Stael
9. “I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart.” – Alice Walker
10. “If it is right, it happens—the main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away.” – John Steinbeck