George and Lennie have held the title of ‘greatest bromance’ in literature since 1937. In honor of the classic novella’s publication anniversary, the following Of Mice and Men quotes should help you celebrate your greatest friendships. A couple might be hurtful, but all are said with love.
Image via Amazon
1. “Jesus Christ, Lennie! You can’t remember nothing that happens, but you remember ever’ word I say.” – George
2. “I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you.” – Lennie
3. Lennie: “You said I was your cousin!”
George: “That was a lie. If I was a relative of yours, I’d shoot myself.”
4. “We know what we got, and we don’t care whether you know it or not.” – Candy
5. Lennie: “I was only foolin’, George. I don’t want no ketchup. I wouldn’t eat no ketchup if it was right here beside me.”
George: “If it was here, you could have some.”
Lennie: “But I wouldn’t eat none, George. I’d leave it all for you. You could cover your beans with it and I wouldn’t touch none of it.”
6. “‘Course Lennie’s a God damn nuisance most of the time, but you get used to goin’ around with a guy an’ you can’t get rid of him.” – George
7. “It ain’t no lie. We’re gonna do it. Gonna get a little place an’ live on the fatta the lan’.” – Lennie
8. “I turns to Lennie and says, ‘Jump in.’ An’ he jumps. Couldn’t swim a stroke. He damn near drowned before we could get him. An’ he was so damn nice to me for pullin’ him out. Clean forgot I told him to jump in. Well, I ain’t done nothing like that no more.” – George
9. “No, Lennie, I ain’t mad. I never been mad, and I ain’ now. That’s a thing I want ya to know.” – George
10. “Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don’t belong no place. . . . With us it ain’t like that. We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us. We don’t have to sit in no bar room blowin’ in our jack jus’ because we got no place else to go. If them other guys gets in jail they can rot for all anybody gives a damn. But not us.” – George
Thank you for the ultimate literary bromance, John Steinbeck.