June 5th marks the birthday of Draco Malfoy, one of the main characters from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. As those in the Potter fandom have grown from kids to young adults and adults, many of our feelings towards Malfoy have changed. Initially seen as the typical, jealous school bully, many Potter fans now absolutely love Malfoy, and think of him as their favorite character out of everyone in the Wizarding World.
To celebrate this Slytherin on his 41st birthday, let’s enjoy ten of his snarkiest, sassiest, and most significant quotes from the Harry Potter books.
1. “What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn’t afford the handle…I suppose you and your brothers have to save up, twig by twig.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Malfoy throws this dig at Ron after Harry receives his Nimbus Two Thousand broomstick, and Ron remarks that Malfoy only owns a Comet Two-Sixty.
2. “But this is servant stuff, it’s not for students to do. I thought we’d be copying lines or something, if my father knew I was doing this, he’d—” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Malfoy says this to Hagrid after he learns that he, Harry, Ron, and Hermione have to spend their detention helping Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest.
3. “Training for the ballet, Potter?” – Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
One of Malfoy’s most unforgettable lines is directed at Harry during their first Quidditch match, when Harry is being chased by a “rogue” Bludger.
4. “Well, look who it is…Potty and the Weasel…I heard your father finally got his hands on some gold this summer, Weasley…Did your mother die of shock?” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Malfoy makes this remark to Ron on the Hogwarts Express while the students are heading back to school for their third year. Ron’s father won the annual Grand Prize Galleon Draw from the Daily Prophet newspaper.
5. “Got your autograph books? Better get a signature now, because I doubt he’s going to be around much longer… half the Triwizard champions have died… how long d’you reckon you’re going to last, Potter? Ten minutes into the first task’s my bet.” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Malfoy makes this remark to his friends, Crabbe and Goyle, within earshot of Harry before the Gryffindor and Slytherin’s Care of Magical Creatures Class.
6. “Well, I can certainly see why we’re trying to keep them alive….Who wouldn’t want pets that can burn, sting and bite all at once?” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Malfoy sarcastically asks this as Hagrid teaches his lesson on Blast-Ended Skrewts.
7. “You see, I, unlike you, have been made a Prefect, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out punishments.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Malfoy doesn’t let Harry forget the fact that Harry wasn’t made a Prefect in their fifth year at Hogwarts, and he tries to use that fact to put Harry down.
8. “You’d better hurry up, they’ll be waiting for ‘the Chosen Captain’—‘the Boy Who Scored’—whatever they call you these days.” – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
After Harry spots Malfoy walking along a corridor with two random girls, he demands to know where Malfoy is heading to, and Malfoy responds with this little jest.
9. “When the Dark Lord takes over, is he going to care how many O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s anyone’s got? Of course he isn’t…It’ll be all about the kind of service he received, the level of devotion he was shown.” – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry decides to use his Invisibility Cloak to spy on Malfoy on the Hogwarts Express, and he hears Malfoy indicate to his friends that Voldemort had enlisted Malfoy to undertake a certain task.
10. “I’m Draco Malfoy, I’m Draco! I’m on your side!” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Malfoy shouts this to a Death Eater during the Battle of Hogwarts.
FEATURED IMAGE VIA THE INDEPENDENT