Happy 103rd birthday, Roald Dahl, the beloved author of children’s books, such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and many others that no doubt had made up a notable chunk of our childhoods! To celebrate, we’re listing ten memorable quotes of his that we can all take to heart, kids and adults alike…
Image via Owlcation
1. “A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.”
Aspiring writers, be sure to keep this in mind!
2. “Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.”
Coming from a bibliophile/serious book advocate, I can personally say that no truer words about books have ever been spoken…
3. “If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
Even Roald Dahl believed that positive thinking can go a long way!
4. “A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
You heard the man: embrace your silliness (as well as your possible book obsession)!
5. “Grown-ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets.”
Dahl, I think you meant to say that we all have our quirks (though it may just be me), but you were right to say that “grown-ups,” whether we are or still not, are much better at hiding them…
We’re halfway through the list, so now while the first five came directly from Dahl himself, the second half of this list is composed of quotes taken straight out of his beloved books!
Image via Pinterest
Let’s start with the most well-known and loved…
6. “So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall.” –Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
As much as I wanted to put down the “music makers and dreamers of dreams” line from this Dahl classic, this would best sum up the common booklover’s idea of downtime. Forget the TV!
7. “I understand what you’re saying, and your comments are valuable, but I’m gonna ignore your advice.” –Fantastic Mr. Fox
On behalf of all of the adults who grew up on these stories, I will say that this is the biggest mood that we can all relate to!
8. “There are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven’t even started wondering about yet.” –James and the Giant Peach
There’s nothing like the present to get out while you still can and live the life while everyone else “can’t.” (And yes, you can still do it even without a giant peach being flown by a flock of seagulls holding you up!)
9. “Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world.” –Matilda
Listen to Matilda: go out and harness that power to do incredible things for the greater good! I know you can, and even if you can’t, well…
10. “Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” –The Minipins
Going back to positive thinking: if you think it will, it will, and if you don’t, then it won’t. Believe in the magic Dahl’s books have brought and still bring to the hands of little children everywhere, to the hands of our hands when we were in their little shoes. We can, and we will.
Featured Image via Times of India