Notwithstanding his short and devastating life, Edgar Allan Poe left behind an extraordinary legacy embodying stories filled with horror and mind boggling conundrums.
Poe endured many tragedies, from losing his wife and mother and his father’s sudden departure to constantly battling depression and alcoholism. It seemed as if he had used writing as therapy, and his dark, innovative work is still talked about in classrooms all around to world to this day. He is considered to be a pioneer in the field of short stories as well as detective fiction, among many others. Poe’s works were far ahead of their time, and so it went on to influence the literary landscape for many years to come.
Poe was also known as a witty and intelligent man; with a profound way with words. Here are some of his quotes that may leave you confused, but deeply influenced nonetheless.
“Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
Image Via Amazon
2. “Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”
3. “I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind.”
4. “Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger, portion of truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant.”
5. “I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.”
Image Via Flashbak
6. “All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.”
7. “I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active – not more happy – nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.”
Image Via San Francisco Silent Film Festival
8. “The true genius shudders at incompleteness — imperfection — and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not everything that should be said.”
9. “I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
10. “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
Image Via Mister Sam Shearon
Featured Image Via Poemuseum