Few poets are as unanimously respected as Federico García Lorca. His poetry’s definitely sentimental, but he never relies on cliche. His lines are spread far and wide on every social media platform, which obviously he never would have suspected, having been executed in 1936. Nationalists killed him when the Spanish Civil War was getting started.
Still, his words continue to be uttered all around the world. They’re really nice. Here are some of our favorites:
1. As I have not worried to be born, I do not worry to die.
2. Only mystery allows us to live, only mystery.
3. But hurry, let’s entwine ourselves as one, our mouth broken, our soul bitten by love, so time discovers us safely destroyed.
4. To see you naked is to recall the Earth.
5. I know there is no straight road
No straight road in this world
Only a giant labyrinth
Of intersecting crossroads
6. I’ve often lost myself,
in order to find the burn that keeps everything awake
7. I am the immense shadow of my tears
8. In Spain the dead are more alive than the dead of any other country in the world.
9. We’re all curious about what might hurt us.
10. To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves.
Image Via Art-Sheep
Feature Image Via Unsplash