Dolores Umbridge is likely the most reviled character J. K. Rowling ever created. The subtext of saccharine sweetness was some solid, Stalin-esque authoritarianism. She debuts in the Order of the Phoenix, and she’s an analogue for every propaganda figurehead in the history of the world.
Whether it’s an ingrained knee jerk reaction to despise her, or if it’s because of her obsession with the color pink, Potterheads don’t like Dolly. Here are ten things she’s said that validate every insult thrown her way.
1. I’m sure I must have misunderstood you, Professor Dumbledore, so silly of me. But it sounded for a teensy moment as though you were suggesting that the Ministry of Magic had ordered an attack on this boy!
2. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie.
3. I’m sure we’re all going to be very good friends.
4. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way.
5. Boys and girls are not to be within eight inches of each other.
6. You know, I really hate children.
7. As I told you Mr Potter, naughty children deserve to be punished.
8. I will have order!
9. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe.
10. Deep down, you know that you deserve to be punished. Don’t you, Mr Potter?
Via Warner Bros.
Feature Image Via Warner Bros.