Today is Brazilian author Paulo Coelho’s 74th birthday! He is one of the most celebrated authors to come out of South America, penning classics like The Alchemist or Veronika Decides to Die and modern works such as 2018’s Hippie. Here are some quotes, either from his writing or himself, that give us insight into his worldview and some of the advice he offers.
1. “Tears are words that need to be written.”
2. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.”
3. “People are capable at any time in their lives of doing what they dream of.”
4. “Every time you judge yourself, you hurt yourself.”
5. “Straight roads do not make skillful drivers.”
6. “Don’t waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.”
7. “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.” From The Alchemist.
8. “I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It’s all a question of how I view my life.” From Eleven Minutes.
9. “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
10. “We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share. This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”