We celebrate a man who led one of the largest and influential movements in America. The Civil Rights Movement strived to achieve rights for African-American citizens. From segregated schools, bathrooms, water fountains, buses and entrances, to being beaten, lynched, and harassed, African-Americans have endured a series of horrors and injustices ever since the beginnings of slavery.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was the head of a movement that preached nonviolence. He rallied people with his booming voice, calling all to fight for the rights of African-Americans. He encouraged everyone to stand up, let their voices be heard, and to not give up until justice and freedom were achieved.
In honor of his birthday, here are some quotes and excerpts from Martin Luther King Jr.
1) “The world in which we live is geographically one. The challenge that we face today is to make it one in terms of brotherhood.” – Oberlin College Commencement
2) “Differences have been contrived by outsiders who seek to impose disunity by dividing brothers because the color of their skin has a different shade.” – Oberlin College Commencement
3) “I can see nothing more urgent than for America to work passionately and unrelentingly to get rid of the disease of racism.” – Oberlin College Commencement
4) “As long as there is poverty in this world, no man can be totally rich even if he has a billion dollars.” – “The American Dream”
5) “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Letter From Birmingham City Jail
Happy Birthday MLK!
Featured image courtesy of http://bit.ly/2jMgAGa