Here is the list of recommendations from The New York Times’ three daily book critics: Dwight Garner, Parul Sehgal and Jennifer Szalai.
1. Evening in Paradise: More Stories by Lucia Berlin (Farrar, Straus & Giroux).
2. Kudos by Shelia Heti (Farrar, Straus & Giroux).
3. The Largesse of the Sea Maiden by Denis Johnson (Random House).
4. The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner (Scribner).
5. See What Can be Done: Essays, Criticism, and Commentary by Lorrie Moore (Alfred A. Knopf).
6. My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh (Penguin Press).
7. The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (Riverbed Books).
8. There, There by Tommy Orange (Alfred A. Knopf).
9. A Life of my Own by Claire Tomalin (Penguin Press).
10. Ninety-Nine Glimpses of Princess Margaret by Craig Brown (Farrar Straus & Giroux).
11. The Imposter: A True Story by Javier Cercas (Alfred A. Knopf).
12. Your Duck is my Duck: Stories by Deborah Eisenberg (Ecco/HarperCollins Publishers).
13. Asymmetry by Lisa Halliday (Simon & Schuster)
14. American Sonnets for my Past and Future Assassin by Terrence Hayes (Penguin Poets).
15. Belonging: A German Reckons with History and Home by Nora Krug (Scribner).
16. The Collected Stories of Machado De Assis by Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, translated by Margaret Jull Costa and Robin Patterson (Liveright).
17. The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life by David Quammen (Simon & Schuster).
18. Essential Essays: Culture, Politics, and the Art of Poetry by Adrienne Rich, edited and with an introduction By Sandra M. Gilbert (W.W. Norton and Company).
19. Advice for Future Corpses (and Those who Love Them): A Practical Perspective on Death and Dying by Sallie Tisdale (Touchstone).
20. Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations by Ronen Bergman, translated By Ronnie Hope (Random House).
21. Fredrick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom by David W. Blight (Simon & Schuster).
22. The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America’s Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War by Andrew Delbanco (Penguin Press).
23. The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myersbriggs and the Birth of Personality Testing by Merve Emre (Doubleday).
24. Ninth Street Women: Lee Krasner, Elaine De Kooning, Grace Hartigan, Joan Mitchell, and Helen Frankenthaler: Five Painters and the Movement that Changed Modern Art by Mary Gabriel (Little, Brown and Company).
25. Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America by Eliza Griswold (Farrar, Straus & Giroux).
26. Patriot Number One: American Dreams in Chinatown by Lauren Hilgers (Crown).
27. Inseparable: the Original Siamese Twins and Their Rendezvous with American History by Yunte Huang (Liveright).
28. Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon (Scribner).
29. Crashed: How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World by Adam Tooze (Viking).