The closure of 2017 was commemorated by many readers, including Bill Gates, by means of celebrating their favorite reads of the year. One reader in particular just so happened to be former President Barack Obama.
The former U.S. president reflected on the books and songs that resonated with him in 2017, sharing the top songs that got him moving and the stories that inspired him throughout the year. The eloquent speaker started a tradition of sharing his reading lists and playlists throughout his presidency, he said on a Facebook post published on New Year’s Eve.
As listed in order by the former president himself, here are the best books Obama read in 2017:
1. The Power by Naomi Alderman
2. Grant by Ron Chernow
3. Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
4. Janesville: An American Story by Amy Goldstein
5. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
6. Five-Carat Soul by James McBride
7. Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout
8. Dying: A Memoir by Cory Taylor
9. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
10. Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
You can check out Obama’s top songs here. No word yet on Donald Trump’s favorite books of 2017.
Featured image courtesy of ‘Certified Politics’