Today is October 30th, lets celebrate one of the greatest poets of the 20th century—Ezra Pound.
Ezra Pound was an American poet, critic and entrepreneur of the arts working to advance the ‘modern’ movement in English. Pound famously promoted the works of William Yeats, James Joyce, Earnest Hemingway and Robert Frost.
Ezra Pound Quotes
1. “Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree”
2. “A great age of literature is perhaps always a great age of translation”
3. “The image is more than an idea it is a vortex or cluster of fused ideas and is endowed with energy”
4. “No man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents”
5. “Nothing written for pay is worth printing. Only what has been written against the market”
6. “Colloquial poetry is to the real art as the barker’s wax dummy is to sculpture”
7. “Humanity is the rich effluvium, it is the waste and the manure and the soil, and from it grows the tree of the arts”
8. “Properly, we should read for power. Man reading should be man intensely alive. the book should be a ball of light in one’s hand.
9. “Genius…is the capacity to see ten things where the ordinary man sees one”
10. “Good art however ‘immoral’ is wholly a thing of virtue. Good art can NOT be immoral. By good art I mean art that bears true witness, I mean the art that is most precise”
Enjoy more of Bookstr’s content click here!
FEATURED IMAGE VIA ORNA ROSS