Today, July 11th, marks legendary author E.B. White’s 119th birthday. White is best known for his children’s books, Charlotte’s Web and Stuart Little. Despite being written over 65 years ago, Charlotte’s Web is still a widely read and beloved book for elementary-age children, and was voted the #1 children’s book in a School Library Journal survey in 2012. Also, cute fact: White started writing children’s books for his niece, Janice Hart White. What a sweet uncle! My uncles still occasionally call me my sister’s name by accident. But I digress.
So, to honor and celebrate this beloved author and stellar uncle, here are some thought-provoking and heartwarming quotes to spice up your Wednesday.
1. “It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.”
Image via giphy.com
2. “All that I hope to say in books, all that I ever hope to say, is that I love the world.”
3. “A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort. A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your question answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people – people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book.”
Image via giphy.com
4. “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
5. “Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder.”
Image via Goodreads
6. “One of the most time-consuming things is to have an enemy.”
7. “Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one.”
8. “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.”
Image via wifflegif.com
9. “If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
Featured Image Via Modern Farmer