Happy 85th birthday to the great Gloria Steinem!
Gloria Steinem is one of the most influential and prominent figures in second-wave feminism and marched alongside greats like Dr. Maya Angelou. She made a massive contribution to American feminism from the 60s to the 70s, and continues to influence change in the era of #MeToo and Times Up. It may be her eighty-fifth birthday, but she is not slowing down, and has she is also heavily involved in these recent movements as well.
Image Via Elle
Not only is she a fierce political activist but also a writer/journalist with books like Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem, Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions foreword by Emma Watson, and her memoir, My Life on the Road.
Are you curious to know which books inspire her? Well thanks to an article from Early Birds Books, you can go through the list of books she reviewed and get inspired!
Here are twenty quotes from Steinem that I think are amazing and will definitely empower you.
Image via yahoo
1. “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”
2. “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.”
3.”I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career.”
4. “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.”
5. ”Don’t worry about what you should do, worry about what you can do.”
6. “Women have two choices: Either she’s a feminist or a masochist.”
7. “A liberated woman is one who has sex before marriage and a job after.”
8. “We’ve begun to raise daughters more like sons… but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.”
9. “Women are always saying,”We can do anything that men can do.” But Men should be saying,”We can do anything that women can do.”
10. ”We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud.”
11. “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.”
12. “Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.”
13. “Power can be taken, but not given. The process of the taking is empowerment in itself.”
14. “Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.”
15. “A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual.”
16. “A gender-equal society would be one where the word ‘gender’ does not exist: where everyone can be themselves.”
17. “Being misunderstood by people whose opinions you value is absolutely the most painful.”
18. “The most hurtful thing is not what comes from our adversaries, it’s what comes from our friends.”
19. “Perfect is boring: Beauty is irregular.”
20. “I started out life as a writer, and writers write in part because they don’t want to talk.”
What are your favorite quotes from this list? If you don’t have a favorite, which ones would you add?