We’ve had some serious legends come in and out of our world throughout history. Those who have spoken, created, fought, and given in ways that changed the course of time. The one I’m talking about is the woman who gave new life and inspiration to the Mexican culture and the arts. From her paintings to her reflection on what identity truly means, she is the one you recognize no matter what.
Kahlo has shared her feminine power with the world from the moment she was born with her resilience in the face of life’s challenges. She had this quiet yet striking power that men and women could relate to. Do you need to light a fire in your heart to find yourself? Or are you looking for the world’s greatest gifts to feed your soul? Kahlo’s words will be the match you need to let your passion for life burn.
1. I love you more than my own skin and even though you don’t love me the same way, you love me anyways, don’t you? And if you don’t, I’ll always have the hope that you do, and I’m satisfied with that. Love me a little. I adore you.
2. Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.
3. Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light. Tragedy is the most ridiculous thing.
4. You deserve a lover who wants you disheveled, with everything and all the reasons that wake you up in a haste and the demons that won’t let you sleep.
You deserve a lover who makes you feel safe, who can consume this world whole if he walks hand in hand with you; someone who believes that his embraces are a perfect match with your skin.
You deserve a lover who wants to dance with you, who goes to paradise every time he looks into your eyes and never gets tired of studying your expressions.
You deserve a lover who listens when you sing, who supports you when you feel shame and respects your freedom; who flies with you and isn’t afraid to fall.
You deserve a lover who takes away the lies and brings you hope, coffee, and poetry.
5. You deserve the best, the very best, because you are one of the few people in this lousy world who are honest to themselves, and that is the only thing that really counts.
6. Only one mountain can know the core of another mountain.
7. I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.
8. What I wanted to express very clearly and intensely was that the reason these people had to invent or imagine heroes and gods is pure fear. Fear of life and fear of death.
10. At the end of the day we can endure much more than we think we can.
11. I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.
Feature Image Via Racked