On this day in the distant year of 1973, The Princess Bride was published. If you haven’t read the book, you most likely watched the iconic movie that came to in 1987. And if you haven’t seen the movie where have you been? It’s filled with sword fights, magic, revenge, princesses and a handsome swashbuckling hero. The characters in The Princess Bride were savage and no movie today can rival the writing of this dialogue.
Image via Community Media Center
1. Inigo Montoya: My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die!
2. Westley: ‘To the pain’ means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don’t mean to duplicate tonight.
Westley: I wasn’t finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let’s get on with it.
Westley: Wrong! Your ears you keep and I’ll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, “Dear God! What is that thing,” will echo in your perfect ears. That is what ‘to the pain’ means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
3. Fezzick: I just want to know if you are doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.
4. Vizzini: He didn’t fall? Inconceivable!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
5. Inigo Montoya: Fezzick, where is that wheelbarrow we left with the Albino?
Fezzick: Over the Albino.
6. Miracle Max the Wizard: He’s only mostly dead. If he were all dead, there’s only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: And what’s that?
Miracle Max the Wizard: Go through his pockets and look for loose change.
7. Westley: I’ll explain and I’ll use small words so you’ll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
8. Buttercup: We’ll never survive.
Westley: Nonsense. You only say that because no one survived.
9. Inigo Montoya: I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.