Stephen Hillenburg brought joy to generations when he created the cultural phenomenon that is SpongeBob Squarepants. He even served as executive producer up until his passing. Some of the show’s greatest moments were from the earliest seasons when he personally oversaw the creation of each episode.
Here are ten quotes from the first few seasons to remember the joy he brought to our childhoods. RIP Stephen.
Image via Lost Coast Outpost
1. SpongeBob: You don’t need a license to drive a sandwich.
2. Squidward: SpongeBob, no matter what I’ve said, I’ve always sorta liked you.
SpongeBob: Squidward, I used your clarinet to unclog my toilet.
3. SpongeBob: This is not your average, everyday darkness. This is… ADVANCED darkness.
4. Patrick: Is Mayonnaise an instrument?
5. Guy On Phone: Is this the Krusty Krab?
Patrick: No, this is Patrick.
6. SpongeBob: Can I be excused for the rest of my life?
7. Mr. Krabs: Listen, I didn’t want to say this in front of Patrick, but that hat makes you look like a girl.
SpongeBob: Am I a pretty girl?
8. Plankton: Do you know what I’d really like for my birthday?
SpongeBob: A booster seat?
9. Mr. Krabs: Think, Krabs. Maybe something SpongeBob said will give you some type of clue.
SpongeBob: Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.
10. Squidward: Could you not stand so close? You’re making me claustrophobic.
Patrick: What does claustrophobic mean?
SpongeBob: It means he’s afraid of Santa Claus.
Featured Image via ABC