Books are often complicated stories that contain many different themes and characters. Any author would scoff at the notion that their entire work could be broken down into one single sentence. As much as we love our authors, we cannot help but to accept the challenge. Here are some of the our favorite books, broken down into one single sentence.
1) Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Man seeks a whale that ate his leg, finds it, and dies.
2) Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Lord of the Rings except everybody you like dies.
3) The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Margaret Atwood’s best guess for what would happen if Trump ever got elected.
4) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
You can save the world by stealing things from strangers.
5) Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
Man tricks women into thinking abuse is kinky and fun.
6) The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Old man catches a fish and nobody cares.
7) The Republic by Plato
Plato establishes himself as a philosopher, then advises that philosophers should be considered kings.
8) Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Girl falls in love with a werewolf and a vampire, chooses the vampire, gets bitten by the vampire and then she becomes a vampire.
9) Dante’s Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Man travels to hell to save his wife: She wasn’t there.
10) 1984 by George Orwell
It turns out that the government actually is watching you through your laptops built in web cam.