November 9th marks the birthday of Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Anne Sexton. She was well known for her intensely personal, confessional poetry that revealed the intimate details of her private life and struggles with mental health. She studied alongside Sylvia Plath and Robert Lowell, and is among the most distinguished poets in the English canon.
Here are some of Anne Sexton’s quotes that provide a glimpse into her mind and writing.
Image via Elsa Dorfman
1. “Perhaps I am no one. True, I have a body and I cannot escape from it. I would like to fly out of my head, but that is out of the question.”
2. “I am alone here in my own mind. There is no map and there is no road. It is one of a kind just as yours is.”
3. “Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.”
4. “The joy that isn’t shared dies young.”
5. “Sometimes the soul takes pictures of things it has wished for, but never seen.”
6. “Talk to me about sadness. I talk about it too much in my own head but I never mind others talking about it either; I occasionally feel like I tremendously need others to talk about it as well.”
7. “I must always forget how one word is able to pick out another, to manner another, until I have got something I might have said… but did not.”
8. “The real me lives in words, not in what words mean.”
9. “Poetry led me by the hand out of madness.”
10. “I’m hunting for the truth. It might be a kind of poetic truth, and not just a factual one, because behind everything that happens to you, there is another truth, a secret life.”
Featured Image via Ransom Center Magazine