10 Quotes for People Who Miss Their Imaginary Friend
My imaginary friend was named Christina. She actually wasn’t technically imaginary in the traditional sense because she had a physical body. She was a doll. Yes, I know. But it’s because Christina wasn’t just a friend, she was my sister. I talked so much about my little sister Christina that, upon meeting my mom at parent teacher conferences, my kindergarten teacher asked about her. I wasn’t there, but my mom was probably surprised to learn she gave birth to an imaginary daughter who was actually a doll.
Now I’m in my twenties and my imagination ain’t what it used to be. I can’t imagine inanimate things are fully realized human beings, and that just gets me down. But here are some quotes that have inspired me to tap back into my imagination and make this pen or that coffee mug or these underpants my new best friend.
1. “Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.” - Jonathan Swift
2. “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.” - Lewis Carroll
3. “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” - Carl Sagan
4. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” - J. M. Barrie
5. “You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” - Mark Twain
6. “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.” - Terry Pratchett
7. “Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees
the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
8. “Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein
9. “Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all is a form of planning.” - Gloria Steinem
10. “Writing is a job, a talent, but it's also the place to go in your head. It is the imaginary friend you drink your tea with in the afternoon.” - Ann Patchett