10 Nora Ephron Quotes to Help You Make Your Own Happily Ever After
From the woman who always did it right.
I will very honestly tell you that I’m a romantic. I don't mean the kind that scribbles hearts on the corner of my college-ruled notebook pages, although I am guilty of some serious doodling. I’m talking about the kind of romantic that sees a little bit of light in everything. I believe in passion in all things you do and all that you love. I believe in little magic moments and everything working out in the end, because it does. I also believe there is power and strength inside you that you would never believe.
A writer whose work captures these feelings for me? I’d have to say Nora Ephron. This woman single-handedly changed the genre of romantic comedy with films like When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, and many more hits. Her writing always seemed to have this friend-like quality that empowered me like only a familiar voice could. She believed in balancing being a powerful heroine while still being vulnerable.
Nora Ephron was a hell of a woman and I think her quotes will give you the wisdom to know you deserve nothing less than the spirit of living.
Image Via Baltimore Sun
1. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.
2. What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications.
3. Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women.
4. And then the dreams break into a million tiny pieces. The dream dies. Which leaves you with a choice: you can settle for reality, or you can go off, like a fool, and dream another dream.
5. I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.
6. So many of the conscious and unconscious ways men and women treat each other have to do with romantic and sexual fantasies that are deeply ingrained not just in society but in literature. The women's movement may manage to clean up the mess in society, but I don't know if it can clean up the mess in our minds.
7. Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.
8. My mother wanted us to understand that the tragedies of your life one day have to potential to be the comic stories the next.
9. So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?
10. Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.
Feature Image Via Cinema Jam