The man, the myth, and the legend himself J.R.R. Tolkien would’ve been celebrating his 127th birthday on January 3rd! His following of fans are serious when it comes to the mystical and magical worlds he’s created. I am one of those fans as I once wrote a persuasive letter to my fourth grade teacher about letting our class watch The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King at the end of the school year. Surprise, surprise; she said no. But that never stopped me from falling in love with the books and adaptations!
Here’s to the man himself.
1. “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
2. “I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
3. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
4. “There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”
5. “Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
6. “Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.”
7. “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
8. “May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”
9. “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”
10. “Not all those who wander are lost.”
Featured Image Via Variety